Tuesday 2 November 2010

Are you a skirts or trousers girl?

Unless you're a sarong enthusiast like David Beckham and Rio Ferdinand or like to wear kilts, then this question is posed to all the ladies in the audience. Are you are skirt or trousers girl at work?

It's a question that struck me as I tuned in to ailing breakfast TV show Daybreak to find out what all the fuss is about. I noticed that Christine Bleakley always wears dresses and skirts when she's presenting the show.

Christine Bleakley on the launch show for Daybreak
I remember that it's a look she also adopted for The One Show, so she clearly prefers a more feminine style when she's in TV Presenter mode.

This got me thinking about my own work wear. Years ago, when I worked in Financial Services it was a very male dominated environment, I had to prove myself to get ahead yet I prefered to wear skirts rather than trouser suits. In my role now working in style and image I still like to wear a smart dress or tailored skirt to business meetings rather than trousers. So why is this?

It may be that my preferences have a lot to do with body shape. My legs are my better feature so I want the eye to be drawn there rather than other rather more dubious parts of my body. I feel that skirts allow me to be more creative with my look, I can wear different coloured tights and boots and change the entire personality of a neutral coloured skirt far more easily than I can with a pair of trousers. If you're not convinced or not sure what shape of skirt to go for, then why not try an A-line skirt. It's a flattering shape that skims balances out the body beautifully it's also a style that suits all body shapes.

Here are two of my favourite skirts from the high street right now:

Karen Millen  - £99
Jaeger £225


Many of my female clients prefer a dress for work as it's an easier option, just one piece that requires no further thought other than tights, footwear and accessories. Dresses have never been so popular with so much choice from high street and on-line retailers. There's even a fantastic blog devoted to the dress called IWantDress.

Trousers might dominate daily work life, but there's always the dilemma of getting a great fit around waist, hips and in leg length.If you've every struggled to find great fitting trousers then help is on the way. The Trouser Room has a pair of black trousers just for you. In four different styles, leg lengths and in 21 sizes from 10 to 20 (including half sizes i.e. 11, 13, 15, etc.) you're bound to find the perfect fit.


So when you go to your work wardrobe what do you see? Are you a trouser gal through and through? Are skirts more appealing or do dresses feel much more like your cup of tea? I'm very interested to know!

Natalia

No comments:

Post a Comment